When I posted the first 12 vegan options in the South Okanagan last week, I was inundated with comments, emails and private messages suggesting even more vegan spots. I had already compiled this second part, which means I now have well beyond 24 vegan choices! At some point, I’m going to have to post even more vegan-friendly establishments in the South Okanagan! I have to say, I had no idea there were so many plant-based food options here. I’m so pleasantly surprised.
Stay tuned for even more vegan-friendly establishments as the suggestions keep coming in. For now, here are the second 12 vegan choices in the South Okanagan:
13. Bad Tattoo – You can’t come to Penticton and not visit Bad Tattoo. This South Okanagan staple is hard to beat. Beer and pizza. What could be better? I wrote a love letter to Bad Tattoo last October which you can read here. Today, though, we’re talking about their vegan options. That’s right! You can grab vegan pizza as you sip your beer and enjoy the warm and inviting ambience. Bad Tattoo even offers gluten-free options, as well. So, if you’re in the mood for really, really great pizza and beer, check out Bad Tattoo:
View this post on Instagram
#pizzaandbeer a great way to fuel up for the @brothersosborne concert tonight at the @southokanaganeventscentre. Congrats to Lisa for winning g our 2 tickets. Wishing everyone a great show. #countrymusic #pizzafuelslife #Penticton #craftbeer #visitpenticton #bcaletrail #pentictonbeer #pentictonaletrail
14. BRODO – Seasonal menus and locally-sourced ingredients brought to you by Chef Paul Cecconi are what makes BRODO Kitchen unique. The simplicity of the food allows the ingredients to truly shine and many of their menu items have vegan options. One choice is the Truffled Mushroom + Lentil Soup with charred corn. Nix the brie fritter and you’ve got yourself a hearty, delicious vegan meal.
Visit BRODO on the web: tastebrodo.com
and on Facebook: facebook.com/tastebrodo
15. The Bench Market – If you’re off to taste some wines on the Naramata Bench, you’re going to encounter the Bench Market on your way. When you stop in, you’ll find enticing breakfast choices, gourmet lunches and locally-sourced, fresh-ground coffee. The staff here is very accommodating, so while you may not see a ton of vegan options on the menu, just ask and they’ll give you the vegan versions of some of their menu items. You can grab a vegan panini and the power cereal can be a vegan breakfast choice if you choose non-dairy milk. This place doubles as a specialty grocery, so grab some hard-to-find items on your way out.
Check out the Bench Market here:
16. The Cellar Wine Bar and Kitchen – Located on Main St. in Penticton, the Cellar Wine Bar and Kitchen is a popular spot. Known for its delicious food and warm, inviting atmosphere, this establishment is also vegan-friendly. While you can’t find vegan options on their website, they do offer vegan stuffed mushrooms, vegan sliders and more. The flavours are mostly Mediterranean, with heavy Greek influences. It’s a must-visit Penticton eatery for vegans and non-vegans alike.
Check them out on the web: thecellarwinebarandkitchen.ca
and Facebook: facebook.com/cellarwinebar
17. Just Delicious Bistro – This cute little Japanese restaurant in the heart of Summerland is always busy. Whether you’re taking out or dining in, Just Delicious is willing to adapt their food to suit your vegan diet. This place is also a small Japanese grocery store, so you can take your favourite ingredients home with you as well!
Check out Just Delicious Bistro on the web: justdeliciousbistro.com
and Facebook: facebook.com/Just-Delicious-Bistro-137891692893317/
18. The Bistro at Hillside Winery – The Bistro is currently closed for the season, but when it reopens in March, you can feel good about eating there as a vegan. The small plates here encourage sharing amongst friends and family and with many vegan options, this is totally doable for vegans and omnivores alike. You’re also going to experience the beautiful wines offered by the Hillside Winery, carefully paired with each dish for a memorable dining experience.
View this post on Instagram
White chanterelles from @what_the_fungus. Find these in our house made potato gnocchi • • • • #hillsidewinery#naramatawine#naramatabench#winery#locavin#locavore#rose#patio#spring#summer#sunshine#penticton#naramata#kelowna#exploreBC#wine#winelovers#food#samplesharepair#eatlocal#drinklocal#localbusiness#okanaganvalley#naramatabench#okanagan
Here’s the Bistro on the web: hillsidewinery.ca
and Facebook: facebook.com/hillsidewines
19. La Caza Ouzeria – More Greek flavours in Penticton! It’s true, the menu here doesn’t show a whole lot of vegan options, but if you ask the staff, you’ll find you have some seriously flavourful choices.
Here’s La Caza Ouzeria on the web: lacasaouzeria.com
and Facebook: facebook.com/lacasaouzeria
20. Annapurna – This restaurant offers the tastes and flavours of India and Nepal. They have an extensive vegetarian section on their menu which can be made vegan upon request. Their naan bread is also made dairy-free. Annapurna is on Main St. in Penticton, BC.
Visit their website: annapurnarestaurant.ca
21. Gratify – You’re going to love Gratify. These guys make mouth-wateringly gorgeous desserts and dishes that are not just vegan, but raw. You can hop on their website and check out the ingredients they use to make these delectable treats. This health-conscious company also gives back, often raising money for our very own Critter Aid.
There’s really no time to waste, you need to check out Gratify on the web: gratifyhealth.ca
and Facebook: facebook.com/gratifypenticton
22. The Vanilla Pod – When you think fine-dining in the South Okanagan, the Vanilla Pod always pops into mind. Their menu doesn’t make it look as though it’s all that vegan-friendly but did you know, you can request vegan options and they will be happy to oblige. So, the next time your friends and family enjoy a meal at the Vanilla Pod, join them for some next-level vegan fare locally-sourced in the Okanagan.
Check out the Vanilla Pod on the web: thevanillapod.ca
and Facebook: facebook.com/VanillaPodatPGW
23. The Cleopatra Cafe – I have admittedly overlooked this place on many occasions. It’s sort of tucked away beside a far more noticeable sushi restaurant. However, when friends of mine told me they’d checked it out and loved it, I decided to take a closer look. This is an adorable little cafe, totally casual, that offers Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavours at totally reasonable prices. You get a load of bang for your buck and the vegetarian and vegan options are just as flavourful as anything else. Vegan pizza, veggie wraps and dairy-free breads are just some of the options for plant-based eaters.
Check out Cleopatra Cafe on Facebook: facebook.com/pages/Cleopatra-Caf%C3%A9-Penticton/344347485744094
24. Salty’s Beach House – A quick look at their menu might have you thinking there aren’t many vegan dishes to try there, however, you can ask your server for the vegan options and you’ll be pleasantly surprised. They are able to make vegan versions of many of their popular dishes including the fish tacos and their pad thai. What’s more is that you get to enjoy their gorgeous lakefront view while you chow down.
Check out Salty’s Beach House on the web: saltysbeachhouse.com
and Facebook: facebook.com/saltysbeachhouse
Read the first twelve South Okanagan vegan choices here. If you know about vegan food in the Okanagan, let us know in the comments!